Mornings are starting to feel cool again – it must be Oatmeal Time! This year, the start of school took me by surprise. I wasn’t really ready for the early mornings and everybody rushing around to get out the door on time, so it’s felt extra-stressful. I started searching for some breakfast ideas to make things go more smoothly and give our family a nourishing and calm start to the day. Having something that’s easy to heat-and-eat is helpful, and something that I can prep several days ahead is even better. Some of our family likes to eat immediately when they get up, while others need to let their stomachs and taste buds to ‘wake up’ a bit. I even prefer to take my breakfast to work and eat it mid-morning at my desk! Overnight Oats seemed like a good place to start… I’ve seen Overnight Oats in mason jars before – great for making portable, individual servings that can go straight into the microwave whenever you’re ready to eat. I wanted something new and fresh, though… not ‘maple and brown sugar’ or walnuts and cranberries again. Here’s what I created – see what you think? This recipe has a twist – actually two twists! It’s made with two kinds of tea, and two kinds of ginger. First, I used brewed Morning Green Tea instead of milk or water to soak the oats overnight, and added a bit of grated ginger. Then, after heating the oatmeal for breakfast, I topped with a sprinkle of Matcha, as well as dried pears, and a bit of chopped candied ginger. I love the warming spice of ginger, and the candied ginger makes breakfast feel like a special treat. The double-dose of green tea gives me the alert calmness I need to take on another day! If you want more protein, I recommend adding some nuts to the topping, or a dollop of Greek yoghurt.
- 8 oz brewed Morning Green Tea
- 1 tsp honey
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger root
- Pinch sea salt
- ¾ cup rolled oats (I used GF extra-thick rolled)
- Put hot tea into a pint mason-type jar, and stir in the honey, ginger root and salt until dissolved. Then add the rolled oats, screw on the jar lid, and shake to mix. Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- When you’re ready for breakfast, remove the jar lid and microwave until warm (oatmeal can be eaten cool as well!). Add 1/4 cup chopped dried pears, 1 tsp chopped candied ginger, and ¼ tsp Matcha.
Click here to Return to Blog Articles
Meet the Author: Sarah