These tender and fragrant meatballs are simmered in a spicy tomato sauce, and are the perfect match for the traditional flavors of Moroccan Mint tea – combining green tea and mint. The Matcha in the meat mixture adds umami, brings the flavors together, and sets off the herbal, refreshing notes of mint and parsley.
* 1 lb. ground lamb
* 1 egg
* ½ cup bread crumbs (can substitute gluten-free breadcrumbs)
* ¼ cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
* ¼ cup finely chopped fresh mint leaves
* 1 tsp finely minced rosemary
* 2 cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
* ½ tsp lemon zest
* ½ tsp Matcha
* ¼ – ½ tsp sea salt (to taste)
* ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
Gently mix the ingredients together and form into small (1 ounce) balls. Brown meatballs in olive oil in a deep skillet or medium saucepan over medium heat, working in batches to avoid overcrowding in the pan. Set meatballs aside on a plate.
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 can crushed tomatoes
* ¾ Tb harissa (red pepper sauce)
Add garlic to the olive oil in the pan used for browning the meatballs and heat until golden (1-2 minutes). Add tomatoes, harissa, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 5-10 minutes until sauce is thickened. Add the meatballs and any juices that have collected on the plate back into the sauce and simmer, covered, until meatballs are cooked through (about 15 minutes.) Serve on a bed of arugula, with a simple salad of cucumbers and tomatoes with yogurt and lemon juice dressing.
* Serve with Matcha Mint tea for a Moroccan flair!
Click here to Return to Blog Articles