Cashews coated with Matcha / Sencha Powder
First, you would ask, “What is this??” looking at crooked green objects. We tell you, “These are Cashew nuts coated with green tea.” Still skeptical, you’d carefully pick ONE piece and pop it in your mouth and then BAM! “Wow! These are delicious!”
We love to cook and play with food. Many of our experiments have been shared on various occasions, and have sometimes been received as a “mind-blower.” This is one of the most popular recipes, making it a perfect treat and gift for anyone–even for the folks who do not care for green tea (yet). Enjoy cooking and sharing!
1. Toast 7 cups Cashews in one layer on 2 baking pans in a 275 ℉ oven for 10 minutes. Stir, and bake for 8 more minutes, or until Cashews are toasted slightly brown. Let it cool.
2. Beat 4 egg whites until frothy and forming peaks. (Tip: use chilled egg whites and a chilled bowl to speed up the forming process.)
3. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients: 1 ½ cups sugar, 2 tsp. coconut milk powder, 3 tsp. MATCHA or Edible Green Sencha powder, and ⅛ tsp. salt.
4. Mix sugar mixture into beaten egg white. Stir in 2 Tbsp. Mirin.
5. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
6. Spread the cooled nuts on the lined baking sheets in one layer and pour the mixture over the Cashews.
7. Bake in a preheated 275 ℉ oven, stirring every 10 minutes until Cashews are more or less evenly coated and dry about 50-60 minutes.
8. Remove Cashews from pan immediately. Cool completely before storing them.