L-Theanine Benefits on Brain
L-Theanine is an amino acid found almost exclusively in green tea. L-Theanine is known to produce its anti-anxiety effects without producing sleepiness or impairing motor behavior.
Discoveries during the recent years added more benefits on brain:
- L-Theanine protects brain cells and promotes cognitive function*.
- L-Theanine reduces the elevation of stress hormones and oxidative damage to brain**.
- Stress significantly reduces performance and memory and increases oxidative stress in brain and elevates levels of stress-response hormones. During the test, treating animals with L-theanine before the stress is applied, results were in reversal, in both cognitive and stress hormones, and oxidative damage.
- L-Theanine lowers stroke risk and the damaging effects if a stroke has occurred. L-Theanine provides two stroke-preventing mechanisms:
- Improves nitric oxide production in endothelial cells and aids to signal to relax muscles and enhance blood distribution***.
- Inhibits TNF-a (tumor necrosis factor alpha) and reduces the risk of an artery-blocking clot that produces a stroke****.
- L-Theanine protects the body from the damage after the abrupt loss of circulation during the stroke. Animal studies show that administration of L-Theanine up to 12 hours after a stroke protects brain cells and reduces the size of the damaged brain areas.*****
- L-Theanine prevents damage to brain cells induced by aluminum******.
* Nathan PJ, Lu K, Gray M, et al. The neuropharmacology of L-theanine (N-ethyl-L-glutamine): a possible neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing agent. J Herb Pharmacother. 2006;6(2):21-30
**Kandimalla R, Vallamkondu J, Corgiat EB, et al. Understanding Aspects of aluminum exposure in Alzhemimer’s disease development. Brain Pathol. 2015.
***Siamwala JH, Dias PM, Majumder S, et al. L-theanine promotes nitric oxide production in endothelial cells throught eNOS phosphorylation. J Nutr Biochem. 2013;24(3):595-605
****Yamagata K, Xie Y, Suzuki S. etal. Epigallocatehin-3-gallate inhibits VCAM-1 expression and apoptosis induction associated with LC3 expressions in TNFalpha-stimulated human endothelial cells. Phytomedicine. 2015;22(4):431-7
*****Zukhurova M, Prosvirnina M, Daineko A, et al. L-Theanine administration results in neuroprotection and prevents glutamate receptor agonist-mediated injury in the rat model of cerebral ischemia-reperfusion. Phytother Res. 2013;27(9):1282-7
*****Sumathi T, Shobana C, Thangarajeswari M, et al. Protective effect of L-Theanine agianst aluminium induced neurotoxicity in cerebral cortex, hippocampus and cerebellum of rat brain – histopahological, and biochemical approach. Drug Chem Toxicol. 2015;38(1):22-31
Disclaimer: The above statement has not been evaluated by FDA. It is not intended to diagnose, prevent, treat, and cure any diseases