Please keep matcha and green tea powder away from the followings in order to maximize the shelf life:
Tips for optimal storage of matcha and green tea powder
- Powder gets exposed to the air every time you open the container. We recommend you take a portion of powder, which you will use up within a few weeks, out of the bulk bag and put it in a small dark air-tight container or a smaller dark food storage bag (NOT a clear plastic bag, because it doesn’t block sunlight).
- When you close the bulk bag, gently squeeze air out of the bag so the bag contains as little air as possible. Double fold the mouth of the bag securely and seal the folded mouth with shipping tape (scotch tape may not be sticky enough to keep it down). If you use a rubber band, use two, one on each end, to make sure no air gets into the bag. Keep this bag in a fridge or a freezer. Be sure to take the bag out of fridge or freezer at least half an hour before you reopen the bag so temperature of powder becomes the same as room temperature. When powder is colder than room temperature, condensation occurs on the surface of powder particles. Moisture is an enemy to the freshness!
- As for a small container, choose a tin or ceramic–no clear glass or plastic to avoid sunlight. Choose the right size for the amount of powder you will use for a few weeks. This is to minimize the powder’s exposure to the air. While powder is stored in a container, air in the container also degrades powder. A smaller container holds less air. The less air space in the container, the better.
- Even though it is a little awkward to handle, if you use a foil lined food storage bag instead of a container, it is more ideal because you can squeeze air out of the bag when you close it. Little air in the bag while powder is stored. Our “MATCHA 100g pouch” is packed in a foil lined bag with sunlight and moisture barrier capability.
- Keep the container or bag with a few weeks supply in a cool, dark, and dry place. If the room you keep the container or bag is warmer than 70º F, our recommendation is to keep it in a fridge. However, please remember to take the container or bag out of the fridge a half hour before you open the container.